Monday, September 3, 2012

Recapping Week 1

It was great to have some football to watch this weekend despite my disappointment with CU this week.  I will get to that later.

Utah's defense should be commended for shutting out Northern Colorado even if the Bears aren't any good at this point.  The Utes can run the football but there are concerns with Wynn's arm strength so there could be a QB controvestry over the course of the season since the Utes have two other QBs in Hays and Wilson.  The Utes play at Utah State this Friday on ESPN so I should catch the Utes this time and like the Utes, they have no idea how good they are after beating Big Sky Conference newcomer Southern Utah 34-3.  No doubt the Aggies of Logan will be pumped up to take down a PAC-12 school since conference mate San Jose State nearly took down Stanford.  I bet Coach Whittingham will be making sure his team is focused this week in practice.

ASU won bigger than I expected...perhaps Coach Graham is that good at getting his teams ready to play.  The Sun Devils did knock out NAU's starting QB and RB so that did help in the blowout win.  Sun Devils rushed for 305 yards and passed for 249 yards.  Pretty good win and now the season actually starts against Illinois who has a new coach so I'm thinking ASU wins that one too. I'll do a little research here amd there before I confirm my pick.

CU was ahead 14-3 just before the half and funny how one muffed punt return changes the game's outcome.  Coach Embree made a very questionable call where he went for it on 4th down instead of kicking a short FG.  This coaching blunder might end up biting Embree down the road when he is apologizing for his miscues at the press conference that announces his resignation or firing carried by the PAC-12 Network.  New Mexico State took care of Sacramento State in Las Crues and CU should win that one easily.  If not, things could get ugly in Boulder like it did under Dan Hawkins.M As a CU fan, I never looked forward to basketball this early.  #IsItNovemberYet


UA had to hold off mighty Toledo in overtime despite getting 624 yards on offense.  UA could have blown the Rockets out but the refs called back some long TD plays that would have blown the game wide open for the Wildcats.  Coach Rodriguez will have to clean up on three turnovers plus two missed FGs.  It must happen this week as Oklahoma State visits Tucson after winning 84-0 against one of the historically worst FCS programs in Savannah State.  This game will be on the PAC-12 Network amd I hope to be able to watch this one.  OSU's DC is recovering in the hospital...good thing that the hospital might not have the P12 Network since it would be a horror show for DCs.

As for the other 4C Schools, I was surprised that both New Mexico schools blew out opposing FCS schools.  Lobo fans are probably wearing their school's t-shirt around town instead of paper bags on their heads for a change.  I'm not wearing my CU gear for awhile at this point.  I'm wearing my Denver Broncos hat that I bought four years ago and an orange #15 with Tebow on the back.  I told my wife if she doesn't stop talking about him, I will buy a Peyton Manning jersey.

BYU looks like a good team this year after dismantling WSU in Provo.  Given that I can watch their games on BYUtv amd ESPN, I will be able to report on this team frequently.  This is why it's so important that distributors provide fans with access to their teams (are you listening Comcast?).  I liked how BYU used a second QB as a change of pace QB.  Could Jimmer mania be back in town in some form sooner than later?

Air Force took care of Idaho State 49-21.  The birdies took care of business but I'm concerned about that 5/12 3rd down conversation statistic.  The Bengals also had three less first downs than the Falcons.  Those numbers will not cut it in FBS ball but this is the first weekend so it's best to reserve judgment until after the second game since it is said that teams make the most improvement between the first and second games of the season.  We shall see about that.

Frenso State handled Weber State (will cover FCS schools in this blog).  This is also of interest to this CU fan as the Buffs visit Frenso in their final OOC game before opening P12 play at WSU.

And this is begrudging to this CU fan: how about them Rams?




No comments:

Post a Comment