Monday, August 20, 2012

Do you have the Pac-12 Network YET?

Today, I'm not posting news links since all the 4C football teams had their scrimmages this recent weekend and whatever information coming out from those scrimmages will be used in the upcoming game previews but this doesn't mean this post will be devoid of information.

Is anyone watching the Pac-12 Network in their home area?  I got a personal message from an Ute fan on Pac-12 Board saying that he isn't getting the Pac-12 Network from his cable provider in Idaho and I told that person that I didn't think my grandparents from Idaho even know about the Pac-12 Network.  They are truly Broncos fans (both the Boise and Denver variety) and with both teams breaking in new QBs, their hands must be full in breaking down the rosters especially my grandmother.

BlockU (the Utah SBNation blog site) is still fuming on their Twitter feed about the Pac-12 Network not being on Comcast Xfinity just yet and I'm in the same boat since Comcast serves both Denver and Salt Lake City.  Can't blame Ute fans for being a little short on patience since they are nearly a week away from their first game and it will be televised on the Pac-12 Networks (yup all seven of them).  I'm not hearing the same concerns from the Sun Devil fans since I believe they have Cox at this point and they are one of three providers with access to Pac-12 Now on www.pac-12.com.

The earliest I have heard about Pac-12 Now being on Xfinity TV is the end of this month which would be totally unfair to Ute fans who are dying to watch their football team for the first time since the Sun Bowl win over Georgia Tech.  A conference-wide channel is nothing new for them as the Mountain West Conference, the former conference home of the Utes, had its own channel until the plug was pulled last Memorial Day weekend.

Switching gears, I want to share with everyone why I am excited for the Pac-12 Network and one main feature that 4C fans should be very excited about.  I was spoiled as a teenager back in the 1990's when I could expect CU to be on TV every game because the Buffs were a powerhouse team during that time and people want to see nothing but the best on TV.  The Buffs during that time certainly fit the bill.  When I went away to college, I wasn't able to watch the Buffs unless they were on ESPN since the Big 12 was in bed with Fox Sports during that time.  Plus it has been awhile since most if not all of CU's games were on TV so this is a welcome change for Buff fans.  During the week of the 2010 Rocky Mountain Showdown (CSU-CU), I was living at my mother in law's home with my wife (note to any married couple: get your own place to stay...seriously!), I got to exprience the Mtn. since it was being shown to everyone free of charge during that week and it was an awesome exprience that left me in envy of the MWC fanbase.  I am very sorry that MWC fans lost that channel and unlike the Mtn, the Pac-12 owns 100% of the Pac-12 Network so a repeat of that is unlikely.  What I am excited about the Pac-12 Network is the "Football in 60" feature where everyone can watch football games condensed into 60 minutes.  I had the NFL Rewind thing where I could watch NFL games from 2008 to 2011 condensed into 30 minutes per game which were used by NFL head coaches for scouting purposes and it was wonderful especially if I missed a Denver Broncos game due to church (God comes FIRST) and I'm expecting the same of the Pac-12's 60 minute condensed football games.  I will definetly be using that feature as soon as Comcast finally gets the Pac-12 Network on Xfinity TV.

Larry Scott said at the Pac-12's Media Day event for football that videogame consoles should be able to get Pac-12 Networks as well so that means I'm looking forward to watching those games on my Sony Playstation 3.  FYI, the Playstation Store updates every Tuesday so it's possible that the Pac-12 app comes out tomorrow but given the issues that people are expriencing with the Pac-12 Network, I do't know if that is a priority for the Pac-12 at this point.  I cannot watch video from the Pac-12 Network on my iPad either and hopefully that gets resolved soon.  I can say that I'm glad I'm not the one in charge of all of this...just imagine the pressure that person should be feeling so why don't we all be nice to him until next week?

Football season starts NEXT week!  Pretty exciting to be able to type that!

No comments:

Post a Comment